Monday, November 2, 2009

SG 1p

That my new class :) Solrød Gymnasium, class 1p. I've been with my new class, in my new school for a week now (started with my 2nd Monday today) and I'm really happy with it. It's still new of corse but It's been really great so far and it just get's better the more used to it I get. I take the train to school now which still feels really cool, but I know it's gonna just be annoying later on. But for now I'm just reminded how lucky I am everyday. I get to ride my bike through the town square and get on the "S" train (headed tword Copenhagen). It makes me feel cool. haha.
And in the 2 weeks I had between switching from 10klasse to Solrød (with break, and farming school) my Danish improved a lot, so I started off able to understand a lot more of the lessons then I did when I left 10klasse. That was cool. I have so many differnt subjects now! Some of them are only once a week but still:

Math
Danish
English
Geography
History
Chemistry
Biology
Religion
Social Studies
Media (film)
Gym

It's a lot. I went through half a class once last week not knowing what subject it was! I think I only know 2 of our teachers names too. haha. But I've got all the kids names down, so thats good. They've been really nice so far. They've done a good job at welcoming me and making me feel "in". They all get along well with each other too which I think is really cool. It's a class of 25 and I don't feel like they're broken up into little groups like you would think. Lunch is so cool with my class. hhaha. We're free to leave or do what ever we want. The gymnasium is right in town in Solrød so kids are always going to the stores and stuff during lunch. We have speakers in all the classrooms too, so someone will always plug in their i-pod and play it really high. We've also got a really good cafateria which is open ALL the time :) and I went to a class party on Friday. It was a lot of fun, and good to see them all out of school.
Oh! and if the teacher is sick or busy or something, they don't have subs, your just free for that hour! That happend for my first time today with a lesson we have right before lunch so we had almost 2 hours off! About 7 of us just got on a train (cuz you can do that) and went to a mall type place a few stops north and had Burger King, walked around, and went back just in time for our next class... Thats so cool!
But when I'm in class we work, which is a good thing becuase that what I switched schools for. I have class from 8am to 2, 3, or 4pm which is much more time than I was in school before. And the extra time is a really good thing. I get more social interaction, and with a lot more people and I really think thats helping my Danish. Of corse it is. So the switch was a good thing.

I don't really know what else to write about Gymnasium. It's so differnt from high school. (in almost every way) So if anyone has any questions about it you can just comment and ask :)

5 comments:

Morgan Hoxsie said...

You said you have some classes only once a week, So is gymnasium kind of like a block schedule?
That is so cool that there are no subs when teahcer is sick! that would be great!

Sophie said...

It's great to hear that you're enjoying your stay here in Denmark (: I see how the Danish school system may seem funny to you, but don't worry- to us Danes, your American schedules are both fun and interesting too ^^

I'm from Denmark, if I didn't make myself clear xD .. I hope to go to USA next year as exchange student :3
I hope you'll continue having a great year :D

Unknown said...

hey joe..
it was really funny to read your blog.
you sound so excited about leaving school during lunchbreak and theres no sub when a teacher is sick...
It was funny to see that this is something new for you. Im used to leave school during lunch and now i have to stay...xD
enjoy your year

Unknown said...

It's not like a block schedule. I've got to go on line to see it. my classes are differnt every day. usually I can print off the whole week but i learned the hard way today that i should check it during the week to see if there were any changes (I was at school 2hours early today)haha.

sophie, i didn't know i had danish readers. haha. I love it here! I hope you go to the US

julian, enjoy yours too :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe Joe,
I don't think you have my email.

alcavana@oakland.edu

So if you wanna call me we can line up a time that works via email. Or you could just call me.
Love you.
Your sista
~Amy~